While guinea pigs may love most greenery, some of it is deadly for them! Here I will show what NOT to feed your pet. I will also explain what to do if poisoning does occur.
-Any part of the potato plant (yes, peelings are dangerous!)
-Any part of the tomato plant except the tomato itself
-Any previously frozen foods, all food must be fresh
The Guinea Pig Handbook, by Sharon L. Vanderlip, lists some common poisonous house plants:
"Aconite, Amaryllis, American Holly, American Nightshade, Angel's Trumpet, Azalea, Bird of Paradise, Birdseye Primrose, Blue Cardinal Flower (Lobelia), Buttercup (Ranunculus), Crocus, Chrysanthemum, Daffodil, Daily, Foxglove (Digitalis), Hydrangea, Iris, Lily (several species of lily), Lupine, Mistletoe, Monkshood, Oleander, Onion, Philodendron, Poinsettia, Rhododendron, Tulip, Wolfsbane, and Yew."
For more information on poisonous plants/foods, visit the following sites:
-A more detailed list of Poisonous Plants:
How to help a food poisoned guinea pig:
When treating a poisoned guinea pig, keep in mind they cannot vomit. The toxins must be...flushed out the other end. First things first, if your guinea pig consumes a dangerous plant, always call your vet. If you can't reach a vet, do not panic. Emergency first aid can be performed.
1. Crush an activated charcoal tablet or open a capsule and mix with just a little water.
2. Using a syringe, insert the solution into the guinea pig's mouth. Use a small syringe. The charcoal you just inserted into the mouth will help bind together the contents of the stomach and prevents your pet from absorbing it. It will not absorb into the bloodstream; instead, it stays in the stomach until being passed.
3. To speed this process, feed a small amount of olive oil. A soft stool may be passed with the coming hours.
4. Keep an eye on your guinea pig and never stop trying the vet if it gets worse. Encourage your guinea pig to eat, but do not force him. Make sure you keep the charcoal and syringe in a first aid kit in case you have another emergency.